In the last year, experts predicted that the cost for mobile Internet to get users will largely increase. The cost will be much higher than the cost of PC products. Mobile Internet has got into the “competition of the background” age, and it will cost more to win new users, so companies with no background and no resource have nearly no chances at all. Those who are optimistic on the business of mobile Internet have begun to fear. Is the mobile Internet order similar to the PC Internet order?
Despite of that, I don’t agree with the opinion that the cost to get new users will be much higher than the cost of PC products. Here are some of my arguments.
1. It is obvious that the mobile terminals are a few times more than the PCs, especially in the period that users of intelligent mobile terminals are increasing greatly.
2. It takes long to turn on a mobile terminal, which provides more time windows for companies to develop new users, and provides more time windows for users to get service (such as the company has more opportunity to display ads to users on the interface).
3. New features such as positional information and privacy of mobile terminal are what the fixed Internet lacks.
4. As an easy-to-get tool for humans to enjoy service, the mobile terminal will increase the operating frequency of the original business of the fixed Internet, which will lead to a qualitative change. Take VOIP and IM service for example, after they become the mobile VOIP and the mobile IM, the operating frequency will increase a lot, and this tendency will sacrifice a big part of the global telecom operators’ business, which will results that the basic telecommunications service reduces to a kind of a value added service of the Internet.
5. The mobile terminal is human’s tool; in the meantime, a human is also the mobile terminal’s tool. That is, the human is the intelligent external device or the intelligent interface, which transforms people, events and things into data which the mobile device can recognize and input into itself. With the human being an intelligent external device, the terminal can interact with the people and events around and do some necessary processing. Thus, mobile devices can have a big influence on humans’ life styles.
6. The functions of mobile terminals are more standard, which set the stage for mobile Internet service to be suitable for most terminals. For instance, with the standard audio configuration of the intelligent mobile terminals, the voice message function of mobile IM can be easier to achieve.
With abundant businesses and large numbers of potential users, mobile Internet will not spend too much winning users if it provides the right services. There is a long way to go for mobile Internet services!